March 20, 2014

Orks in Spaaaaaaaaace!

    I have decided to start living on only 2 hours of sleep so I can find enough time to spend between work, my family, and my two hobbies.  My saltwater aquarium has taken up most of my free time and all of my money, plus some of my wife's money, and some of my parent's money and even some of the cash a couple of my friends earn.

   My wargaming hobby, not having anybody to play with lately, has taken the back burner, and the pilot light has only been recently relit.  But a couple of days ago I had sudden inspiration and decided that with rumors saying Ork can loot nearly anything in the new codex, I need a drop pod.



   With only a pile of plating bits, some cardstock, and an idea that I wanted a drop pod I set out to build it.  I quickly decided that I needed a cockpit and an Ork to pilot the pod.  I also found bits for a Tau Piranha and decided those needed to be part of the build.  The jets are going to be part of the forward momentum of the craft and the wings will be the stabilizing rudders.

   I also found an old vindicator that screamed cockpit and set about drilling out the hole where the gun mounted.  This became the porthole for the cockpit and after a little cardstock to push it forward and tilt it properly I had the basis of my front end.  The cannon itself looked ideal for a reversing thruster and for the second one I chose the bottom of an old glue stick.  I have set the two thrusters on top so that the cockpit canopy will slide off the vehicle and give me space to build the interior.


Plans for the rest of the front end include jaws to grab onto space hulks for boarding missions, a hatch for boarding enemy vessels, and of course guns for the trip in.  As for the ship itself I am figuring somewhere around 7 inches total length, with both sides opening for Orks to pile out when the ship is upright, as well as hydraulics to upright it.

No comments:

Post a Comment